Conway League of Artists
Member Meeting 07/12/17
July 12 2017 / 6:30 PM / Faulkner County Library
The meeting started with lots of visitors and wonderful food. Everyone was so generous preparing a meal for the meeting’s Potluck. The most important and best part was the socializing and visiting. Thank you members!!!!!
Meeting called to order at 6:30 by President, Marilyn Rishkofski
President Marilyn’s Reports:
- Thank you for refreshments
- Watercolor books for sale $10 for the first $5 for the second
- Reminder to donate to the Dorris Curtis fund and win a chance for Artwork donated by Lois Giorgis and Art Supplies by Moore Art Supplies
- Arts Fest in October has made a few changes this year: October 7th 10:00am-2:00 pm will be Art in the Park @ Simon Park. Also on October 7th 6:00-9:00 pm Art-ober Fest the celebration will be on Front Street and end at Kings for the evening Art Sale event. CLA can volunteer to help in the morning assisting people giving demos and teaching. CLA can meet at Art Experience across from Kings to volunteer that night. This will be a fun experience. Information will be on the website www.conwayleagueofartists.com and contact person is Leslie.
- Recognition of Retiring Board Members:
- Karen Freeman, Caren Garner, Sheila Parsons, Carol Willibanks, Coe Wilson
- An original watercolor painting by Virginia Potter matted by Marilyn Rishkofski was given to the retiring board members as an appreciation for all of their work and time volunteering for the Conway League of Artists. Thank You!!!!
- Virginia Potter gifted Marilyn an original Dorris Curtis painting for all of her hard work, devotion to the League and passion towards the development of The Dorris Curtis Fund.
- Susan Peterson was recognized as a published author for 501 magazine. Check out July’s issue and watch for her column throughout the year. Congratulations!!!!
- Introduction and Installation Ceremony for 2017-2018 Board Members:
- Executive Board:
- Co-Presidents Marilyn Rishkofski and Virginia Potter
- Vice President MiChelle Moore
- Secretary Robin Tipton
- Treasurer Nancy Bryant
- Membership Richard Talley
- Show Pauline Butts
- Communications Susan Peterson
- Historian Pepper Henthorne-Adams
- Members at Large Sue DuVall and Don Byram
- Each member was welcomed and given a fun token of supplies that pertained to their new volunteered position.
Vice President MiChelle Moore’s Report:
- MiChelle has forms to fill out for the current Conway League of Artists web page. The website will have your bio and some examples of your work. This is a wonderful way to market and advertise your unique gift to the public.
- The first workshop is scheduled!!! Acrylic Paint Pouring Workshop will be August 11th Friday night 6-9pm @ Moore Art Supplies. Sign up is offered first to the CLA members, after July 31st any remaining seats will be open to the general public. Limited seating for up to 10, cost $30 and supplies are provided. For more information check out the website www.conwayleagueofartists.com
- July 22nd from 9-6pm Moore Art Supplies will celebrate their One Year Anniversary. Stop by and support our Vice President at her store. There will be free classes, demos, door prizes and Moore (more, lol).
- Moore Art Supplies will be having a “Red Hot Contest”. To participate you must have any art with Red (just a little red or a lot of red, your choice) This will be a fun way to display your artwork and the public will vote for their favorite art masterpiece!!
Membership Director Richard Talley’s Report:
- An info card is at the greeting table, fill out one and return to update your CLA membership information.
- Annual CLA Membership dues are July.
- We have one new member Laura- welcome to the family Laura!!!!!
- Don Byram announced August 3rd @ coffee shop downtown Morrilton there will be an Art Show Fundraiser for Conway County Council for Exceptional Children, Autism Awareness. Come see the show, buy some art, sip some coffee and donations will be greatly appreciated.
- Pauline Butts mentioned the idea of having “Off the Clock” social lunch or gatherings with members. This could be something fun and low-key to get to know each other better. Let her know if you would be interested.
Tim Jacob introduced and demonstrated his unique form of “Puddle Painting”. He describes his technique as watery overlays to convey color. He states “It might be considered impressionism or even pointillism, but I just find that it is a way to have fun while painting”. He loves painting water towers and capturing the Delta. He doesn’t sign his work but hides the initials of his kids, Justin and Taylor, in each piece. Tim’s artwork is fabulous and his story and technique is unique. You can view and purchase his work at the local gallery Art on the Green or check out his website timjacob.com . He will be teaching a portrait class with his technique July 26th at Art on the Green, sign up for this workshop.
Dorris Curtis Fund Raffle
Thank you Lois Giorgis for donating two beautiful paintings and MiChelle Moore for two $10 gift certificates to Moore’s Art Supply!!!!!!
- Pepper Henthorne-Adams won Lois Giorgis’ Orange Abstract Painting and a $10 gift certificate to Moore Art Supplies
- Pauline Butts won a watercolor painting of the Kitchen by Lois Giorgis and a $10 gift certificate to Moore Art Supplies
Congratulations Ladies!!!! Thank you members for donating to support a new artist and remembering a former one.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:00pm by President, Marilyn Rishkofski