September 6, 2017 Board Meeting
Marilyn Rishkofski Susan Peterson Pepper Adams
Don Byram Pauline Butts Nancy Bryant
Sue Duvall MiChelle Moore Richard Parsons
Virginia Potter Vredeveld Bert Vredeveld
Marilyn called the meeting to order at 6:30pm
President Marilyn Report –
Marilyn discussed trying something new at next week’s meeting – a social time before the meeting – from 630-645, with the meeting actually getting started at 645. This will allow time to get refreshments and socialize.
Marilyn looked at replacing the brass nameplates that are in the library for our Art of the Month displays. Each plate will cost around $15 each. She would like to put this on the agenda to accomplish next year. Don stated he may have a connection for this as well.
Marilyn passed out the new “Motion Form” and will have copies available at each board meeting. This will help with making motions as well as recordkeeping.
Marilyn passed around the CLA Flow Chart and explained it. Since we have 2 Presidents, this will be a useful tool for Board Members when determining who handles what part of the organization.
ArtsFest discussion – Marilyn reserved 1 table for the League with the intention behind it to promote the League. She presented two banners/signs for the table, with our logo. At this time we need a commitment from a few people to help “man” the table for ArtsFest evening (October 7, 4-9pm). Don, Pepper, and Sue agreed to help with this. Pauline stated she would check her calendar for her availability to assist.
Dema’s Tips – Marilyn discussed an idea that member Dema Clark had brought up. At the meetings, Dema offered the idea of 5-10minutes at the beginning of each member meeting… to do a real quick demo/tip. This would be something simple that members could jot down in their sketchbooks (or with paper/pencil provided). She would like to make this a fun lesson, nothing so serious. Marilyn opened the idea up for discussion among the Board.
Pepper agreed it sounded fun and informative. Susan suggested we give it a try, Pauline agreed. Virginia stated that in order for this to be a regular thing, she would have to be at every meeting. Marilyn expressed a hesitance, due to the time constraints we’re already working with, stating she would have a slim opening of time to do these. It was stated that we may not can do a “Dema’s Tip” this meeting, since it is currently planned for Jim W. (from ArtsFest) to come and talk to the members about ArtsFest opportunities.
It was suggested that we talk with Dema about doing one of the monthly programs about basic refresher type drawing tips and such. MiChelle will talk with her about this.
Secretary Report – July meeting minutes. Richard Parsons moved to accept the minutes. Pepper seconded. Minutes were accepted.
President Virginia Report –
Thank you to Don for handling Art of the Month last month in Virginia’s absence. It was mentioned and recognized that Nancy did a great job implementing and explaining the new marble voting system at last month’s member meeting.
Virginia stated that the Art of the Month and Surgery Center Policies & Procedures are done and should be available on the website for all to review.
The Surgery Center schedule – currently Becky Thornton is on display. Dorothy Imhauser is scheduled for Oct-Dec and Virginia Potter Vredeveld is scheduled for Dec –into 2018. Virginia will have the sign up at the meeting.
Opportunities for Artists – Marilyn passed around an email about an upcoming workshop that MidSouthern Watercolorist group is having. Don mentioned an opportunity in Batesville – a Plein Air Contest through the Arkansas Arts Council.
Virginia mentioned that we need to encourage people to participate in Art of the Month.
Treasurer Report –
Total in account as of today is: $2554.60. Amount in Dorris Curtis Fund is: $165.00
Nancy discussed the Leagues legal status. We ARE a non-profit, but we are NOT a charitable non profit. She has been working with the bank and a cpa and has done a lot of research on CLA status – to clarify any confusion on this. We are not registered with the state – and the bank won’t list us as nonprofit. She stated we CAN say we are non profit, but can’t say we are a charitable non profit. Marilyn stated that a tax consultant donated her time and met with her and Nancy to get this cleared.
Rockefeller donation for the Fall Show – Pauline sent a letter to Ms. Rockefeller on August 16. She has not heard from her. It is our hope that we will still get the $1000 donation. Virginia questioned where we are, what Ms. Rockefeller thinks about our status. Pauline said it wasn’t discussed.
Programs – MiChelle informed the Board of the remaining programs for the year. September will be David Paul Cook – watercolor demo, October will be Sheila Parsons – live model demo, November is in the works but will probably be a cartoon illustrator, since ComiConway will be going on and December there will be no program due to Potluck. No current workshops are scheduled or planned, but in discussion. MiChelle made mention of the upcoming 45th Year Planning Meeting – scheduled for September 30th.
Memberships – Richard stated, as of today there are 29 paid members, 5 honorary. The member list shows 74 members, but not all have paid their dues. There was discussion about this. It was stated that a majority of members will potentially pay their dues at the upcoming Fall Show. The option to send out reminders was discussed, several ideas were explored but it was determined to wait until after the Fall Show and see where we were.
Sue suggested that since dues are due in July that maybe we explore the option of giving a grace period and then if not paid after a certain time, then charge a late fee. Richard questioned what the bylaws stated on this. Don agreed that a late fee was a good idea. Virginia stated that it would be more of a Policy/Procedure than a bylaw issue. Marilyn agreed that this would need further discussion and a vote from the board. Don suggested it be something we start next year, Nancy agreed and stated the option of raising members’ dues. Marilyn agreed as well. Susan suggested the option of pulling out the names of members who hadn’t paid and to send them a separate reminder email. The consensus of the Board on this discussion was to continue on as we are – wait until next year and we can discuss raising the member dues and assessing late fees for late payers.
Fall Show – Pauline stated she got the flyers/brochures for the show printed. The total was $67.10. She will have these available at the member meeting. She stated that she needed volunteers to help at the reception and with set-up. The panels are at the library, she needs to meet with Steven (from the library) – they will need some touch-up. She will try to meet with him this week and let us know what is needed. It was suggested that the entire membership be invited to help out and get the panels up and going…secure them, paint them, etc. Nancy suggested, if they need to be painted, to get some ‘hammered black’ spray paint – this may add texture to them. Pauline will set a “work day” date to work on the panels and announce at next week’s member meeting, in hopes to get more involved.
Advertising the show was discussed – Marilyn asked how it was done in the past….flyers, posters, Log Cabin newspaper, OzarkRiver Valley newspaper? Pauline suggested we place flyers at the places we currently place Art of the Month pieces. The option of posting it in the library’s newsletter was discussed, Marilyn asked Pauline to check with the Friends of the Library about this. Virginia will create an event on Facebook so it can be shared. It is currently posted on the CLA website and CLA newsletter. MiChelle will add a blurb about it to her store’s email/newsletter.
Pauline will work up a poster (11×14 size), Marilyn offered to help her with this. Marilyn suggested getting about 25 posters printed up and distribute around town. Pauline will create a rough draft and send to the group to edit/confirm. Marilyn will contact the Chamber and the Downtown Dollop and see about getting it advertised there.
Pauline has the ribbons – she still needs to figure out how many ribbons will be needed to cover all of the awards. It was determined there will be a Purchase Award, a Best of Show, and 16 ribbons (4 categories with 4 placements).
Susan stated that she has someone who wants to donate a $50 Rembrandt Oils gift certificate (redeemable at Moore Art Supplies) to someone in the show who did an oil painting. The floor was open to suggestions for a name for this award — Pepper suggested “The Oily Brush”. Everyone agreed this was a perfect name for it.
Pauline presented the name cards for the entries. There are a limited amount available. There was discussion about the best way to do this – to preprint the cards or to write them legibly. It was determined that they will be filled out when members bring their entries. Pauline stated she will need help that morning with the banners and how they will be displayed, as well as someone helping fill out the cards. Richard stated he will be there to handle any dues being paid.
Sue Duvall presented a letter for sponsorship/fundraising. Several suggestions were made for this letter – including the website address, placing it on letter head, etc. Sue questioned if this letter would be primarily used for the 45th. Marilyn explained that this will be a general fundraising letter and the language can be adjusted to specific events or funds needed.
Historian – Pepper stated she has some documents that she will be delivering to Dema Clark soon. Dema has been working on getting the CLA documents scanned.
New/Old Business – Richard stated that he had some ‘old business’ to bring up concerning an issue from the past about some missing money. He found the missing money tucked in a pocket in a briefcase that Coe Wilson had given him. There was $15 cash and the “missing” check (dated Jan 9, 2015) in the amount of $798.78. Virginia stated that she believed this check had been replaced already. There was some discussion about this missing money and Marilyn stated that her and Nancy had been doing some research, trying to find documentation of this – since it stemmed from a donation from the family of Jackie Guerin, for the “Beauty in Nature” Award to be given at the Fall Show. Marilyn suggested that the discussion be tabled on this issue until her and Nancy can continue their research.
Marilyn presented her trial samples of the “spin art” she has done, since it was suggested at a previous meeting for an ArtsFest activity at the table. If the League is interested in doing this activity for ArtsFest, she will need at least 2 members to help. She will ask at next week’s member meeting to see if there is interest.
Meeting adjourned at 8:10pm. Board members were welcomed to stay and begin the discussion for planning the 45th Year events.
Post Meeting – 45th Year Planning
In attendance: Marilyn Rishkofski, MiChelle Moore, Pepper Adams
Since there was very little interest and participation – it was decided that we will table the planned agenda and discuss it at the scheduled Planning Meeting on September 30th. At that time, we will determine interest and decide on our plan moving forward with this.