Conway League of Artists
Board Meeting 07/05
July 2017 / 6:30 PM / Art Experience
Marilyn Rishkofski, Virginia Potter, MiChelle Moore, Robin Tipton, Nancy Bryant, Richard Talley, Pauline Butts, Susan Peterson, Sue DuVall, Don Byram, Dema Clark(visitor)
Meeting called to order at 6:30 by President, Marilyn Rishkofski
Last Meeting Follow-up
Summary about the previous Executive Board Meeting was given
President Marilyn’s Report
- Review and discuss job descriptions
- Bylaws the Board read through the bylaws and discussed changes that need to be made to the current wording. Section 3 Non-elected (appointed) positions bylaw currently is worded Publicity Chairperson, Web Managers, and Newspaper Editor these will now be titled as Communication Directors. The board agreed Marilyn is going to change the wording and bring the updated bylaw page to August’s meeting for the board to approve and amend.
- 45th Anniversary the committee will be the current Board Members. In August Marilyn will have a detailed chronological outline for the board members to review and start working on for the 45th anniversary celebration.
- Conway League of Artists Supply Inventory the Newsletter will ask for any supplies checked out belonging to the League to be turned in for inventory. The supplies will be stored in a general designated place (Art Experience)for members to use and check out as needed.
July 12th Conway League of Artists meeting 6:00-8:00
- Potluck dinner
- No art of the month for July
President Virginia Potter’s Report
- Art of the Month a discussion was held on how to decide which Art to show at the 7 designated businesses IF there were too many art pieces for display. Virginia recommended continuing the same way it has been by counting votes. The most popular artwork will be chosen for display and Art of the Month will be chosen by the most votes.
- Pauline is going to bring copies of information cards that are uniform (name, pic name,number, price, etc) for artist to fill out before their art is taken to display in the community. This will eliminate questions of who the art belongs to, whom to get in touch with if someone wants to buy the art or if any other info is needed..
- Virginia suggested the artist that was chosen for the art of month be encouraged to share their medium, insight and inspiration for a few short minutes at the meetings. It will help members understand, get to know one another better and ask questions about their art piece.
- Surgical Center there is an area for 5 places of artwork. Currently Karen and Nancy are displaying their work. Becky Thornton will be showing her work the month of August.
- Approval of Board Member meetings 6/7/2017 Marilyn Rishkofski made a motion to approve the minutes. Virginia Potter seconded the motion. All were in favor to approve minutes from previous Board Meeting.
- Corrections to the previous minutes were changed and copies sent
Treasurer Nancy Bryant’s Report
- Nancy is going to get information from First Security on the cost and type of checking account that will be best for CLA. If this is a better fit for the club Carol will close out the current account at Regions and an account will be opened at First Security
- The different committees need to make an anticipated expense list for workshops, shows, etc and give this to Nancy to help develop the budget for the following year.
- Coe will inform and give a copy to Nancy of her previous expenses and budget
- Richard will give information on member dues and payments.
- The previous Rockefeller donation was discussed. Coe and Suzann can give details on how to seek and continue this donation.
- Information will continue to be gathered to help create a budget
- Current balance in checking is around $2,000
- Dorris Curtis Fund around $110 (Donation $25 from Carol Stroud)
- Receipt for the CLA Website was given to Nancy
Vice President MiChelle Moore’s Report
- Tim Jacob will be presenting Puddle Painting at the CLA potluck meeting July 12th
- Marlene Gremillion will present “Flowers a Different Way” on August 9th supplies she will need: 6-8ft table and a plug in
- Future programs: considering David Paul Cook’s watercolor in September
- MiChelle presented proposals for workshops and programs for the year.
- Per recent Board discussion, changes made are as follows:
- The board agreed number of programs per year to 10, no programs are scheduled for the July and December meetings (these months are for potluck, slideshow that Dema graciously offered to help with and member socializing).
- Changed compensation amount to $50 for non-members AND $50 for members who conduct a workshop.
While there was quite a bit of discussion about the PROPOSAL for the Workshop Outline, no changes were officially agreed upon. Therefore, no changes have been made to that PROPOSAL at this time.
Membership, Richard Talley
- July will be time to pay membership dues, cash box and change will be needed for July meeting
- The membership cards and money will be sent to Nancy. Current members 66, 3 people have paid for 2017-18
- Sheila Parsons will continue working on the print
- Facebook- the board members will take time to review and familiarize themselves with CLA Facebook page so that discussion and suggestions can make it more user friendly. Paying membership dues on line was also suggested.
- Website- MiChelle is putting together a form for the members information so it can be on the website for access.
- Dema suggested maybe donating a painting for the upcoming GMC Demo (Sep 14th) could give CLA some recognition. She also suggested maybe a Membership drive in the future.
- Sue DuVall suggested fundraisers be planned at a later date.
- Don Bryam suggested a goal for CLA is to plan a more collective Community effort for fundraisers it will benefit everyone involved (ex. Art auction at a local coffee shop)
Next Board Meeting
- August 2, 2017 6:30pm @ Marilyn’s home 1120 Reynolds Ave. Hendrix College (She will provide the food and the board can brainstorm)
Meeting adjourned at 8:40pm by President, Marilyn Rishkofski