February 2018 / 5:30 PM / Faulkner County Library
Marilyn Rishkofski, Susan Peterson, Richard Tally, Sue DuVall, Robin Tipton, Nancy Bryant
Meeting called to order at 5:30 PM by President, Marilyn Rishkofski
President Marilyn Rishkofski’s Report:
- Dorris Curtis Poetry illustration contest had 17 entries. $180 was collected. Winner Emily Hill received $80 for winning the challenge.
- Three members attended the Baum Gallery demo and reported it was a great learning experience.
- Art Pray Love (fundraiser for Guatemala missions) was a large success. Our CLA members had the highest sales for the night. Congratulations Don Byrum, Virginia Potter and Susan Peterson. They donate 30% of the profits from their sold art.
- Upcoming Programs for member meetings
- February: Brian Young from Baum Gallery will be speaking at the February meeting.
- March: (Possibly) Robert McBride with alcohol ink (Marilyn will check with him)
- April: Dorris Curtis Scholarship program
- May: (Possibly) Chris Massengil is opening a new pottery shop in Conway and could be interested in a demo.
- June: Election and installation of officers
- Possible idea for September would be Experience Art Day: members bring and show a piece of art work and get positive feedback and possible improvements.
- Richard Tally made a motion to approve the January 2018 board member minutes. Susan Peterson seconded the motion. All were in favor to approve the minutes from previous board meeting.
- Conway League of Artist’s current checking account balance is $2,148
- Dorris Curtis scholarship fund balance is $299
- New copy of membership roster was given.
- Currently have 53 paid members
- Allen updated the CLA website
- The newsletter reaches 149 people. Although all are not members that receive the newsletter the board felt sending the newsletter will help generate interest and new members.
- Remind members in the newsletter to bring refreshments.
Art of the Month:
- Nancy Bryant will take care of the designated businesses to display art
and art of the month for February.
Member- at- large:
- Sue Duvall will bring a donation for the Dorris Curtis raffle
- Pepper Henthorne will write about “Did You Know” in the newsletter
- Expo Center art showing could possibly be May 12th at the Master Gardeners show. The master gardeners will be having their board meeting and vote if having an art display at the same time as there gardening show is possible. They will establish the guidelines for the show. It will be approximately 800 square feet which could limit the number of art pieces shown. CLA members cannot sale any of their artwork during the show. At the Expo center no furniture is allowed to be brought in, they will have tables and chairs available to rent. Easels would be ok to bring. CLA board believes this is a wonderful way to have exposure about the League and exposure for CLA artists. Set up would be May 11 (Friday night) and the Gardening show is on Sat May 12th from 8:00-2:00.
Susan Peterson moved to appropriate up to $1200 to buy display panels. Nancy Bryant seconded the motion. There were no further motions. All were in favor raised their hands and the vote was unanimous. The motion passed for up to $1200 amount to be spent on the art display panels.
Marilyn is going to personally buy a set of the panels so the board can see if they are appropriate and useful for Conway League of Artists to purchase.
- Dates are reserved at the Faulkner County Library from March 31- April 30.
- The spring show will not have a theme. The art will need to be current from possibly last two years. All paid members can exhibit and sale their artwork. Community can vote on “People’s Choice” painting. The winner will receive recognition and a ribbon. There will be no cash prizes.
- The registration and drop off for the paintings will be quicker and more effective. There will need to be more member volunteers with designated work descriptions to help with organization. The entry form will be available to fill out before the Spring Show drop off date. The newsletter will have the registration form.
- Entry fee is $10 for two pieces. Money will be collected the day of art registration and drop off.
- The board will review the show chair job packet to make any revisions and to be discussed next board meeting.
- Member Meeting February 14, 2018 @ 6:30 PM Faulkner County Library
- Board Meeting March 7th, 2018 @ 5:30 Faulkner County Library